Thursday, July 16, 2009

RM Seafood at Mandalay Bay, Las Vegas

FROM ETATHED: On a recent trip to Las Vegas I had the chance to dine at RM SEAFOOD, a restaurant located in Mandalay Bay. I was in the mood for some seafood and this place looked to be top notch. This was a nice quiet place, though it was early and i hear the upstairs area gets jumpin later. The staff was very friendly and the service was fantastic. I started with the Jumbo Lump Crabcake with chipotle mayonnaise, cucumber and pickled green papaya. This was probably the best crab cake i had ever tasted. A slight crunchiness on the top and bottom convinced me this cake was cooked to perfection. I also tried the papaya, which i was surprised by. It had a very strong flavor that i cant really describe, but it accented the crab cake wonderfully. Next came the main course. I had went to RM Seafood specifically for the Lobster Raviolis that where on the restaurant's menu, via the Mandalay Ba site. Unfortunately when i got there the menu was different and the no longer had the Lobster Raviolis. I settled on the Blackened Catfish with sweet corn hushpuppies, and braised mustard greens. I must say i was bit let down by the catfish, for some reason it seemed to lack the flavor i have come to love from other catfish dishes. As i was eating the fish i really thought i would have enjoyed a couple more crab cakes much more. However the hush puppies were out of this world. They had a cheese sauce baked into them that was fantastic. I didn't touch the greens. I also got a side of Cheddar Mashed Potatoes. These were very tasty and when eaten with the catfish, helped to liven things up a bit. Over all it was a decent meal. Wonderful appetizer and sides, poor entree. I think my bill ran around 40-50 bucks, which isn't cheap, but isn't too outrageous either. They really do need to look into updating their menu on the Mandalay Bay site though. I was very disappointed when the meal i went there for was not available.

5 comments:

Yancy - SBTS said...

I aint never caught a catfish.
They nightfish, I heard.

Big Billiam - NY said...

Nice meal overall it seems. Would you try it again?

Negative Nancy said...

You should hsve sent back the Catfish.

Cletus said...

Im on a budget.
Cant do all that.

etathed said...

Big Billiam,

I would eat there again, i just would choose something different. However there are so many places to eat there, i would try some others before returning.